Sunday, March 07, 2010

Gaining Through Losses

I forgot my phone in the car today as I boarded the Tahoe ski bus early morning.  By the time I'd realized, it was too late for me to get off and go back for it.  The moment came, and sudden anxiety came over me.  The thought of being without a mobile device for an entire day prompted uneasiness and stress.  I challenged myself to acknowledge and accept the feelings I had which then empowered me to use this opportunity as a means to break free from my attachments to the digital world.  I found inner peace with being disconnected and was well on my way to a great day on the slopes.  I couldn't wait.

Sixteen hours later, we arrive back in SF, mentally refreshed, exhausted, but happy.  It was a great day.  I arrived back to my car only to discover the driver-side window smashed, glass everywhere, Nexus One gone, 2nd gen iPod in the center console gone.  My precious car was broken into.  My precious phone was taken from me.  My iPod which held sentimental value and had been through so much with me was stolen.  I was obviously upset.  Then I learned the guy who'd parked right next to me also had his car broken into, window smashed, same deal except he lost a stereo head unit.  We both commiserated with each other over our losses.  Despite the undeniable anger, frustration, and anxiety I felt, it mostly subsided and with the help of him entering the picture.  Throughout our interactions, it reminded and pushed me to stay mindful of the situation which successfully prevented me from exuding negativity.  In my head, the last thing we needed in an already negative situation, was more negativity.  For some reason, I sensed he felt the same even if it was subconscious thoughts.  I felt a moment of connection.  We both empathized with and for each other.  Two strangers, suffering a loss.  The negative situation had transformed into something special.

Life is funny.  I went from owning arguably the coolest phone in the market today to owning a sub-par loaner which I can't call my own.  Throughout this experience, I realized how much value I placed in these material goods and how much I took pride in them.  Now they're gone, and I've learned to recognize them for what they are.  I've once again been pushed to refocus and appreciate again what is actually important.  People.  And speaking of which, I enjoyed quite a few great exchanges and conversations on the bus ride back with a potential new friend.  Try stealing that away.  Obviously no one can.

No comments: